About Wake Interfaith Disaster Team
Wake Interfaith Disaster Team (WIDT) is an association of religious organizations working to prepare for, mitigate the effects of, and recover from disaster.
The mission of WIDT is to coordinate interfaith long-term recovery efforts to help Wake County resident homeowners restore their homes affected by natural disasters.
Whom do we serve:
Services are offered to residents of owner-occupied homes in Wake County who have insufficient resources from their home owners insurance, FEMA and personal savings to restore their home to the condition it was in prior to the disaster. Services are provided for unmet needs that have been properly assessed by case managers and an unmet needs committee of WIDT. Partnering organizations are also available to provide case management services to renters who may have been affected by a natural disaster. WIDT may offer other disaster-related services not being addressed by other agencies.
How does WIDT achieve its mission:
- Coordinate with emergency management agencies to achieve a state of readiness to respond to disasters in Wake County, North Carolina.
- Convene the non-profit, governmental and faith-based entities involved with long-term disaster recovery in Wake County in the aftermath of a natural disaster to plan for and coordinate the long-term recovery efforts.
- Establish and maintain a disaster response and disaster preparation fund. WIDT also coordinates with other Voluntary Agencies Active in a Disaster (VOAD) to acquire necessary funds for the recovery of the people served by WIDT.
- Establish and practice guidelines and procedures for determining unmet needs and eligibility of recipients for faith-based disaster assistance.
- Recruit, and provide for the training of Wake County faith groups to organize and train volunteers to respond to disasters.
- Arrange for the coordination of long-term recovery case management services in cooperation with VOAD partners in WIDT.
- Work with WIDT partners to recruit and coordinate volunteers to provide repair of damaged homes.
- Engage contractors to coordinate the efforts of volunteer construction workers.
WIDT embraces the following values in carrying out its mission:
- Services are provided without discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, or sexual orientation.
- WIDT strives to foster an ecumenical effort and a cooperative spirit in all of its work.
- The core of the work of WIDT comes from the dedication and commitment of volunteers who generously donate their time and talent to restore their neighbors to wholeness after a disaster.
- WIDT strives to uphold the dignity of all people served and all the people whose lives have been disrupted by a natural disaster.